Welcome To The B N L Tandem Van de Graaff Accelerator
This program calculates the Peak LET, Corresponding Energy and Range as well as the LET and Range at the Specified Energy for the Specified Ion in the Specified Target.
TVDG LET Calculator
The Peak LET, Corresponding Energy and Range as well as the LET and Range at the Specified Energy for the Specified Ion in the Specified Target will be returned.
- Select the Target Material from the dropdown list.
- Select the Ion Specie from the dropdown list.
- Enter the Total Ion Energy in the text box. This is equal to the Atomic Mass times the Energy/Nucleon.
- Click the 'Calculate' button or press the 'Enter' key.
Please be patient. These calculations are complicated and require some time to complete.
If you are running Windows 95 or later you can download a personal version of the LET Calculator Program
Here. The file is about 250K in length.
You will need WinZip to unzip the downloaded file.
Terms and Definitions
- Linear Energy Transfer is the energy absorbed by the target through which a particle is traveling per unit length of the track of the particle. For the purposes of this calculator, the LET is expressed in units of MeV/mg/cm2 (Million electron volts per milligram per square centimeter).
- The distance a particle of a given energy will travel through the target until it is stopped. For the purposes of this calculator, the Range is expressed in microns.
- Peak LET
- The maximum value the LET can assume with the specified materials (ion and target).
- Energy for Peak LET
- The energy at which the Peak LET occurs.
Last updated 11:05 AM 12/7/04
Report a bug on this page.